Family Address Subway Art Project

20 Jul
 
I have been a little obsessed with Subway Art over the past year or so. It all started when Pottery Barn came out with this canvas:
https://importtestsite.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/img10l.jpg?w=240
 I was in love! I made plans to immediately make one. Of course life got in the way and it wasn’t until February that I actually did and I made a few for Valentines-themed ones: 
#fullpost{display:inline;}

And then I made my Summertime Subway Art using my Silhouette:

 But I had another type of Subway Art Project in mind. I even found a frame at Ross on clearance for $10 that I thought would be perfect! So when Studio 5 asked me to do a segment on Subway Art, it gave me the push I needed to finish a project that has been on my mind for awhile.

https://i0.wp.com/image.ssww.com/catimages/SWPA-SWPZ/SWPE030001.qch.fpx
For this new subway project, I thought I would try a new technique. I had a roll of vinyl contact paper and thought I would try cutting the letters out using that medium. Plus, when I priced out the cost of vinyl versus the cost of contact paper — I saved about $40.
The first thing I did was take the board out of the back of the frame and I painted it. If you don’t have a frame you can use a sheet of thin plywood or mdf. Once the board was painted, I made my words. I used the addresses of all of the places that we have lived since we’ve been married. I used my Silhouette machine to make and cut out the letters.
 If you have a Cricut you can use that machine to cut out the letters too. If you don’t have any of those machines you can create your words on your computer (use Ariel font) and then print them off the computer and use spray adhesive to stick them onto the contact paper. Then use an exacto knife to cut out the letters. 
I used a t-square to make the letters even. The trickiest was putting the almost invisible letters on the board so they were straight. It took quite a bit of time. Once they were on the board, I smoothed all of the edges of the letters to make sure they had a good seal.
Then I took the board back outside and spray painted the whole board black. When that was dry, I splattered some white paint on the board and used a small brush to make some smudges on the edges of the board so it resembled the Pottery Barn picture.
Then I brought the board inside and peeled the letters off. Then I put a thin coat of clear polyurethane over the top. 
And now I have a cool piece of art that has our all of our homes on it!
Total cost = $15 
(including the frame)
Here’s the Studio 5 clip if you want to check it out:

Have a Terrific Tuesday!!

I’m linking this project up to these fun parties: 

giveawaysLife as Lori

HookingupwithHoHShow and Tell Green

The Girl CreativeThe DIY Show OffMakingSumo's Sweet Stuff Birthday Wedding cakes crafts parties
CreativeShareWednesdays 
http://www.thethriftyhome.com
UndertheTableandDreaming

Birthday Wedding cakes crafts partiesAll Thingz Related



XOXO
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: