I’ve had some requests for the recipe, so I thought it would be appropriate to post it for my Tasty Tidbits Thursday this week.
This is a recipe that has been around for a long time. My mom remembers cakes frosted with this recipe from her childhood.This is a really fluffy frosting with the consistency of whipped marshmallows. It is pretty easy to make, fast and you only need a few ingredients. Plus, it is FAT FREE. That’s right, no fat — compared to over 7 grams on a typical slice of cake.
The downside is that this frosting does not keep well overnight, so make it and frost it the day you serve it. It’s so yummy that there probably won’t be any leftovers anyway. Enjoy!
Grandma’s 7 Minute Frosting
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (or 2 teaspoons ligh-colored corn syrup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In the top of a double boiler combine sugar, cold water, egg whites, and cream of tartar or corn syrup.
- Beat with an electric mixer on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Place over boiling water (upper pan should not touch water). Cook, beating constantly with the electric mixer on high speed, about 7 minutes or until frosting forms stiff peaks.
- Remove from the heat; add vanilla. Beat 2 to 3 minutes more or until frosting reaches spreading consistency.
**This frosts the tops and sides of two 8- or 9-inch cake layers or one 10-inch tube cake.
***Store frosted cake in the refrigerator and serve the same day it is made. Makes 4 cups.
And, if you are looking for a tasty cake recipe to go along with the frosting, check out THIS Coconut Cupcake recipe.