This is one of my favorite recipes that I have been making for years. One of my friends gave it to me and it had been handed down to her from her grandmother. I thought it would be a great entry for my first Tasty Tidbits Thursday!
Italian Sausage Lasagna
- 1 pound ground sausage (I used hot Italian sausage)
- 1 pound ground beef (I used 4% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2egg, beaten
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano (or you can use dried oregano)
- 1 package lasagna noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook sausage and ground beef in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- Combine the egg, ricotta and parsley in a mixing bowl.
- Spread 1/4 cup sauce in an large casserole dish coated with nonstick cooking spray. Trim noodles to fit dish. Layer a third of the noodle pieces over sauce; top with a third of the remaining sauce, a third of the ricotta mixture and 3 tablespoons mozzarella cheese. Repeat layers twice.
- Cover; bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes or until browned. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
What is the perfect dessert to go along with delicious lasagna? Well, I was checking out some of the blogs I love and I found the most exciting news on Be Different…Act Normal’s blog. You can make your own homemade Girl Scout Cookies. And they look delicious! Have a look: